Monday, March 11, 2019

Update! *almost* 1 year down!

Hey there,
Forgot to update this with my progress thus far! So, started braces on March 28th 2018 and it's almost coming up to my one year anniversary! On August 1st, 2018 I had 2 purple temporary anchorage devices (TADs) screwed into my upper jaw with spring coils attached to the braces. The Damon braces straightened my teeth SO fast just wish the TADs would be as quick to intrude my teeth.

It's been about 6 and a half months with TADs and there's been intrusion although I can't say I'm as far along as we thought. It could be the travel restrictions being so far and having to see my ortho less than other patients. I'm not entirely sure but what I can say for sure, they are 100% intruding and moving up!

So exciting! To be honest, I'm already super happy with all the progress I've made. The below picture is top (February) and bottom (October) and some food in my teeth. lol

My 18 months treatment time will most likely be extended since I thought I would be in TADs for 8 months but it looks like they needed longer to intrude. I'll update once I have my next appointment on March 27th.

Thanks for reading and sharing my journey!

3 comments:

  1. Hi i just found your blog from google searching, and i have to say your journey is inspiring but also confusing. Im currently 3 weeks post op from a double jaw surgery, and sliding genioplasty. I have the lip incompentence still mainly do to swelling but my lips are closer and the VME has also been fixed. Your journey to me is a bit confusing because for me it was really easy to find a Orthognathic surgeon to do the surgery and ASAP. I use blue cross blue shield im 22 and i live in Arizona i can recommend the surgeon that i have if you like, he knows how to talk to the insurance companies, he even got the genioplasty covered and thats considered cosmetic. All you need is the braces straight teeth and bam! thats it, he understood that im young and want to look good and breathe good and enjoy life, he is a phenomenal surgeon. Also your post about that mewing thing, its a scam the bones stop growing when your an adult all it does combined with gum chewing is making jaw muscles more prominent nothing more. People just sadly dont know biology to well, just wanted to warn you about that. Please get the surgery, from a 22 year old kid that was in your situation it will be well worth it, there is pain im still wearing a splint but the benefits have already been reaped, there is no reason to the extra stuff your doing, just get the surgery you wont regret it. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reaching out! Yes, my journey has been super confusing to myself even. My brain doesn't describe the situation or scenarios easily. I'm pretty pleased with the results from the TADs and braces for now. It's been 3 years in braces, I could not do more in surgery even if I could get insurance to cover it. My sanity is just over all of this. But thank you SOO much for sharing your experience and thoughts. Wish you the best of luck on your recovery!

      Delete
    2. Hi thank you and yes I'm now 4 months post op, and the recovery is perfect for the most part still have slight numbness in the lower lip, but it getting more mobile and active every few weeks. Swelling has gone mouth opening is back to how it used to be all is better. I wish you the best of luck as well with your progress.YOU GOT THISSSS IM YOUR BIGGEST FAN YOUVE INSPIRED ME TO GET THE SURGERY YOUR THE BEST KRISTEN!!!

      Delete