Sunday, November 8, 2015

First step..the consultations

I've done my research on orthodontists and oral surgeons in south Florida. I have 8 total consults to go to. Because my insurance will cover orthodontics, I need to go to in network orthos.

I don't know whether my insurance will cover the jaw surgery. Although it is cosmetic, there are a number of things that I believe should be necessary for surgery. For instance, I have sleep apnea and I am a chronic mouth breather with obstructed airways making it hard to breathe and I never fully feel rested after a nights sleep. I also have jaw pain occasionally and have to take a pill about once every 2 weeks when it bothers me.

If you found my blog because you are going through this journey too, please let me know whether it was easy to get covered and what your experience was. I'd really like to not become more poor when I desperately would like to solve my brain fog during the day and constant need for 4+ hour naps!

My estimated timeline for this journey is

Consultations in December 2015
Braces on February 2016
Jaw Surgery December 2016
Braces off July 2017

2 comments:

  1. I also have this problem and my plan is exactly the same as yours. How is it going so far and have you found out if insurance would cover the jaw surgery? I live in southwest Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put a pause on the consultations and jaw surgery in general but have picked back up. I made several calls and they wanted to charge fees for consultations for oral surgeons. I suggest searching orthodontists first since they like to refer you to their own oral surgeon they work closely with and most do not have consultation fees.

      I didn't think I needed braces or to see more than one ortho but to have lefort I they need the brackets.. so braces it is.

      It's hard to say whether insurance will cover mine but I do have sleep apnea/TMJ which is a cause of my misaligned jaws.

      Delete